The “Wesquo,” of Wesquo Capital Partners LLC, is a Wampanoag name
referring to a gathering place in Nantucket Harbor, marked by a large white
rock flecked with quartz. This rock lent its name to the island’s earliest
residential subdivision, as the anglicized “Wesco.” Laid out in 1678, the lots
are bounded by what are now Liberty, Hussey, Quince and India Streets.
More than fifty whaling captains lived in the neighborhood. In 1723, the
great white rock was buried underneath the construction of Straight Wharf,
the island’s first solid fill wharf built by Richard Macy as an early monument
to Nantucket’s industry and increasing prosperity.